Old 26-04-2003, 08:20 PM
animaux

Default Why my Pink Dogwood Tree is Dying?

It could be anthracnose or over watering.

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 10:44:31 -0400, Requester wrote:

i dont understand. its in part shade during the day and sun towards the evening. it gets watered regularly since we bought it about a month ago. it was doing fine blooming new leaves and a few flowers and now the leaves are dying. i dont get it. why?

?
how can i save this tree before its too late?

---------------
I definitely can't live without rice!

Old 27-04-2003, 01:44 AM
Vox Humana

Requester wrote in message ...
i dont understand. its in part shade during the day and sun towards the
evening. it gets watered regularly since we bought it about a month ago.
it was doing fine blooming new leaves and a few flowers and now the leaves
are dying. i dont get it. why??
how can i save this tree before its too late?

What type of dogwood (Cornus florida or Cornus kousa) and where do you live?

Old 27-04-2003, 01:56 PM
Garden Clubber

It's spring 2003 - what happened to your dogwood? I have the same
thing happening - however, because it was new - thought it was just a
poor specimum. Are they difficult to grow - more suspectible to
anthranose? I have also heard this "don't over-water".

Requester wrote in message ...
im in atlanta. it says pink flowering dogwood.

"Vox Humana" wrote in message
.. .

Old 27-04-2003, 04:08 PM
David J. Bockman

Cornus florida is susceptible to anthracnose-- yes. The problem is that
almost every dogwood has the anthracnose present, but when certain
conditions are met (stress factors such as drought, root zone damage,
borers, etc.) the anthracnose suddenly takes off and decimates the tree.

Dogwoods have a fibrous root structure close to the surface, so disturbing
the soil around the base of the tree (underplantings) can stress the tree to
the point that it fails. Pink flowering dogwoods are not more susceptible to
anthracnose than the white blooming dogwoods.

Dave

om...

Requester wrote in message ...
im in atlanta. it says pink flowering dogwood.

"Vox Humana" wrote in message
.. .

Old 01-05-2003, 10:44 AM
Jim

I just purchased a Pink flowering dogwood for our
yard from a nursery. They made a point of saying
to be very careful of overwatering the tree. They
said to water only once a week if we didn't get an
inch of rain.

Good Luck,
Jim

Old 02-05-2003, 06:20 AM
B & J

"Marley1372" wrote in message
They
said to water only once a week if we didn't get an
inch of rain.

I would find a new nursery. An inch of rain is not enough per week for a

newly
planted dogwood. And it probably was planted in the direct sun it will

need
even more. Rain has usually little or no effect as far as when you should

be
watering you plants.

Toad

If I had my choice, I'd never plant any trees or shrubs in the spring (zone
6). Trees or shrubs planted in early to the middle of November do far better
than those planted in the spring. Unfortunately availability of many items
is limited to spring. Spring planted trees in my area take at least a year
to recuperate from our hot summers.

You're right about springs planted dogwood needing far more moisture than an
inch per week, but native dogwoods are far more forgiving than cultivars in
moisture requirement. I've moved numerous dogwood seedling from flower bed
into the wooded area surrounding my home with good success.

John

Old 02-05-2003, 01:56 PM
Vox Humana

"B & J" wrote in message
[...]

Another advantage to planting in the fall is that you can usually find trees
and shrubs at a deep discount.