Old 28-04-2003, 01:44 AM
David J. Bockman

Default Spreading Yew: Safe by Pond, Drinking Water Supply?

Only the seed itself is poisonous.. the fleshy fruit is edible.

"Jake" wrote in message
om...
I'm not exactly up on the gardening thing, so some help from the
experts would be much appreciated. My apologies if this should be
common knowledge or has been asked before, I've searched the groups
and couldn't find an answer.

Is there any danger to a pond, 1/3 Acre, that is a primary supply for
drinking water if Spreading Yew (Taxus x media 'Densiformis') is used
as an enbankment shrub along 1/3 of it. Primary concern would be
obviously the toxicity of the bush, but would the few branches or seed
pods that might end up in the pond be of any concern to those drinking
the water or to the fish in the pond. The bushes are approx 6 feet
from waters edge.

If there is any other information you would need to answer the
question, please post.

Thanks in advance,

Jake