Old 28-04-2003, 12:56 AM
Jake

Default Spreading Yew: Safe by Pond, Drinking Water Supply?

I'm not exactly up on the gardening thing, so some help from the
experts would be much appreciated. My apologies if this should be
common knowledge or has been asked before, I've searched the groups
and couldn't find an answer.

Is there any danger to a pond, 1/3 Acre, that is a primary supply for
drinking water if Spreading Yew (Taxus x media 'Densiformis') is used
as an enbankment shrub along 1/3 of it. Primary concern would be
obviously the toxicity of the bush, but would the few branches or seed
pods that might end up in the pond be of any concern to those drinking
the water or to the fish in the pond. The bushes are approx 6 feet
from waters edge.

If there is any other information you would need to answer the
question, please post.

Thanks in advance,

Jake

Old 29-04-2003, 03:56 PM

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/y/yew---08.html
"---Constituents---The fruit and seeds seem to be the most poisonous parts of the
tree. An alkaloid taxine has been obtained from the
seeds; this is a poisonous, white, crystalline powder, only slightly soluble
in water; another principle, Milossin, has also been found. "

"David J. Bockman" wrote:

Only the seed itself is poisonous.. the fleshy fruit is edible.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 29-04-2003, 10:08 PM

so who are you going to teach to suck the fruit off and not eat the seed? listen,
our birds dont even eat em. that says it all for me. the plant is poisonous!!!!!!
you need red berries, plants some currents. Ingrid

"David J. Bockman" wrote:

http://museum.gov.ns.ca/poison/yew.htm

Seeds, and leaves of yew shrubs. The pulp of the scarlet, berry-like fruit
is harmless, but the seeds inside can be FATAL.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 03-05-2003, 05:44 AM

IT IS POISONOUS. it is just splitting hairs that the whole damn plant is poisonous
EXCEPT the red fruit surrounding the seed. they wanted to know if they should plant
it near the pond. without knowing for a fact that IF the fruit dropped into the
water and IF the fish ate the fruit would the seed would NOT get digested and NOT
kill the fish cause I dont know if anybody has done that experiment or not I
suggested dont put something that poisonous that close. Ingrid

No one asked about teaching people to eat or not to eat the seeds, the
question was whether or not the yew was toxic. Nice strawman agrument
though.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List