Old 28-04-2003, 01:44 AM
RichToyBox

Default Spring feeding

Koi don't know that they are not supposed to eat until the water temperature
comes up. They eat the things that they can find which is mostly the algae
in our ponds. That does not hurt them like the pellet food which has some
protein to it. You could feed some oranges, which is high in vitamin C, and
because it is mostly sugar, will be easily digested. They might get some
boost to their immune system from the Vitamin C. Pellet foods should not be
started until you know that the water temperature is not going to fall below
50 degrees again.
--
RichToyBox

"roger" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
Time for yet another question.

My pond water temp is currently at 46*.
I know I shouldn't feed my koi yet, so I don't plan to till it gets up to

at
least 50* or 60*
Having said that, they are showing much interest in eating. In fact I see
them
grazing off of the algae along the liner, and they are swimming in search

of
food when
I approach the pond, they all rush to the surface in the usual feeding

spot.

Why are they showing such a desire to eat, to the point where they are
gulping anyghing
that hits the waters surface?

- What is the recommended turnover rate for the filter again?
Surface area is 12.5' x 17'

Thanks for the help, this is a great N.G. always full of good advice.

Roger
Ottawa, On. Ca.
6500+ gallon pond.