Old 27-04-2003, 04:20 AM
roger

Default Spring feeding

Time for yet another question.

My pond water temp is currently at 46*.
I know I shouldn't feed my koi yet, so I don't plan to till it gets up to at
least 50* or 60*
Having said that, they are showing much interest in eating. In fact I see
them
grazing off of the algae along the liner, and they are swimming in search of
food when
I approach the pond, they all rush to the surface in the usual feeding spot.

Why are they showing such a desire to eat, to the point where they are
gulping anyghing
that hits the waters surface?

- What is the recommended turnover rate for the filter again?
Surface area is 12.5' x 17'

Thanks for the help, this is a great N.G. always full of good advice.

Roger
Ottawa, On. Ca.
6500+ gallon pond.

Old 28-04-2003, 01:44 AM
RichToyBox

Koi don't know that they are not supposed to eat until the water temperature
comes up. They eat the things that they can find which is mostly the algae
in our ponds. That does not hurt them like the pellet food which has some
protein to it. You could feed some oranges, which is high in vitamin C, and
because it is mostly sugar, will be easily digested. They might get some
boost to their immune system from the Vitamin C. Pellet foods should not be
started until you know that the water temperature is not going to fall below
50 degrees again.
--
RichToyBox

le.rogers.com...

Old 28-04-2003, 03:44 AM
jammer

Do goldfish like oranges?

Old 28-04-2003, 04:08 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Oooh yes they do! The only thing that will get them to actually let me
touch them.

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 28-04-2003, 07:20 AM
jammer

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 03:08:18 GMT, "Just Me \"Koi\""
wrote:

Oooh yes they do! The only thing that will get them to actually let me
touch them.

Cool ! Although still very skiddish, my GF are better than they were.
Maybe they will like the orange so much, they will get a little
closer.
I think they have eaten all of their babies this weekend.

Spring pruning and feeding Gail Futoran Roses 11 11-03-2007 02:08 PM
Spring feeding Scott Murchison Ponds 2 12-04-2005 05:50 AM
Spring serenades, evening harmonies, and offerings of Spring come madgardener Gardening 2 21-04-2004 01:04 AM
Spring doings, major garden accomplishments and spring is bursting out up in Fairy holler madgardener Gardening 0 25-03-2004 10:03 PM
Spring doings, major garden accomplishments and spring is bursting out up in Fairy holler madgardener Gardening 0 25-03-2004 10:02 PM