Old 28-04-2003, 02:20 AM
Flint Matthews

Default Novice rhizome barrierquestion

I recently transplanted some running bamboo to an area in my yard with
the intent of developing a screen. To keep it under control, I rented a
trencher, and dug a 2-3 ft. deep trench 4" wide around the perimeter of my
screen area. I placed "commercial" (that's what it said at Home Depot) weed
block, which appears to be a fiberglass composite type material, in the
ground vertically the full depth of the trench leaving ample excess above
ground and folded outwards and secured to the ground. The trench was then
back filled with gravel (crusher run) instead of the original dirt. I felt
secure that I would be able to contain my runners until reading somewhere
online recently that someone had a problem with rhizomes piercing pond
liners. I realize the weed block might not be as effective as the rhizome
barriers I've seen on several sites, but was wondering if anyone had any
thoughts or experience on using heavy duty weed block as a rhizome barrier.
I did leave myself an ample buffer zone around my perimeter in case I had to
do some revision later.

If I do have to do some revision to my barrier, I do think I will have
a little time. Each transplant has at least one new healthy culm shooting
skyward, and they will probably really jump in this Georgia heat, but I
probably will have at least a year or two before rhizomes make it to the
perimeter.

Thanks in advance for any advice, FM