Old 28-04-2003, 08:44 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Composting Potato Skins

In article ,
Stephen Howard writes:
| On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 23:58:32 +0100, Joe
| wrote:
|
| I tend to recall reading that it may not be safe to compost potato
| skins. Are there substantial grounds for concern? I don't grow
| potatoes.
|
| I've never heard that it wasn't safe to compost potato skins - though
| I'd be inclined not to compost any spuds that are obviously diseased.

There are some soil-borne diseases that can survive composting, but
you are unlikely to see most of them on bought potatoes and they
don't affect anything else (except just perhaps tomatoes). I use
your approach.

| The biggest problem ( such as it is ) with composting potato skins is
| that they sometimes sprout, so it pays to slice the peelings up nice
| and small.

Well, yes, if you peel them or (as I do) compost potatoes that have
shrivelled or sprouted beyond use. But it isn't a big deal.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.