Old 28-04-2003, 11:56 AM
LeighMo

Default 50/50 + 10,000k question

When I bought the new bulbs I started by using the same hours,
approximately 12 per day, and I had an outbreak of green algae. I was
told in cichlid-forum (by other users with the same bulbs) to cut back
because the new bulbs were much more efficient. Then I was also told to
slowly add time back, and now I'm pretty much back at square one...lots
of green algae on the leaves/stems with hardly any growth.

So the new bulbs are in the same fixtures?

I have read much here about c02 but i'm afraid of the effects it will
have on ph in my setup (africans with 8.2 ph).

At one watt per gallon, you shouldn't need CO2.

Any other thoughts on different bulbs, etc?

Well, if the GE bulbs worked for you, you could always go back to them.

At the very least, I would consider getting rid of the actinic. Two 10000K
bulbs will give you a blueish light without needing actinic.

If you must have the actinic, it might help to add some faster growing plants,
like water sprite or hygrophila.

And you don't say how long you had the old bulbs. Maybe it was just a
coincidence that your algae problem started with the new bulbs? Do you know
your nitrate levels? (They are often quite high in African tanks.) And you
may need to add at least an iron supplement, such as TetraFlorapride.

Leigh