Old 28-04-2003, 02:44 AM
Jim Wunderlich

Default 50/50 + 10,000k question

I have a 40 gallon african setup with one 20 watt 50/50 bulb + one 20
watt 10,000k bulb (both Coralife). I used to have two 20 watt GE
daylight bulbs which cast an ugly "yellow" light. I run the lights 10-12
hours per day.

My plants are Anubias Barteri, Anubias Nana, Java Fern and Crinum
Thaianum, so I am meeting the low light requirements for those plants.

The problem is that the plants used to have a better growth rate (new
leaves often) with the old GE's. I thought that the intensity of the new
lamps would stimulate more growth. Also, there is a pretty thick coat of
green algae forming on ALL of the leaves...they look like crap.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated!

--
Remove NOSPAM to reply.
Old 28-04-2003, 02:44 AM
Jim Wunderlich

In article
,
Jim Wunderlich wrote:

I have a 40 gallon african setup with one 20 watt 50/50 bulb + one 20
watt 10,000k bulb (both Coralife). I used to have two 20 watt GE
daylight bulbs which cast an ugly "yellow" light. I run the lights 10-12
hours per day.

My plants are Anubias Barteri, Anubias Nana, Java Fern and Crinum
Thaianum, so I am meeting the low light requirements for those plants.

The problem is that the plants used to have a better growth rate (new
leaves often) with the old GE's. I thought that the intensity of the new
lamps would stimulate more growth. Also, there is a pretty thick coat of
green algae forming on ALL of the leaves...they look like crap.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated!

correction, i have one 50/50 and one 6500k TRICHROMATIC (100% super
daylight)

--
Remove NOSPAM to reply.
Old 28-04-2003, 04:56 AM
LeighMo

The problem is that the plants used to have a better growth rate (new
leaves often) with the old GE's

Interesting. A lot of people believe that actinic light causes algae. Your
experience would suggest that it's true.

However, you say the light is more intense. How so? Have you added more
light, or a better reflector?

And how long was your tank running with the old GE bulbs? Do you use any
fertilizer?

Leigh

Old 28-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Jim Wunderlich

In article ,
tose (LeighMo) wrote:

The problem is that the plants used to have a better growth rate (new
leaves often) with the old GE's

Interesting. A lot of people believe that actinic light causes algae. Your
experience would suggest that it's true.

However, you say the light is more intense. How so? Have you added more
light, or a better reflector?

And how long was your tank running with the old GE bulbs? Do you use any
fertilizer?

Leigh

When I bought the new bulbs I started by using the same hours,
approximately 12 per day, and I had an outbreak of green algae. I was
told in cichlid-forum (by other users with the same bulbs) to cut back
because the new bulbs were much more efficient. Then I was also told to
slowly add time back, and now I'm pretty much back at square one...lots
of green algae on the leaves/stems with hardly any growth.

I have read much here about c02 but i'm afraid of the effects it will
have on ph in my setup (africans with 8.2 ph).

Any other thoughts on different bulbs, etc? Thanks, Leigh!

--
Remove NOSPAM to reply.
Old 28-04-2003, 11:56 AM
LeighMo

When I bought the new bulbs I started by using the same hours,
approximately 12 per day, and I had an outbreak of green algae. I was
told in cichlid-forum (by other users with the same bulbs) to cut back
because the new bulbs were much more efficient. Then I was also told to
slowly add time back, and now I'm pretty much back at square one...lots
of green algae on the leaves/stems with hardly any growth.

So the new bulbs are in the same fixtures?

I have read much here about c02 but i'm afraid of the effects it will
have on ph in my setup (africans with 8.2 ph).

At one watt per gallon, you shouldn't need CO2.

Any other thoughts on different bulbs, etc?

Well, if the GE bulbs worked for you, you could always go back to them.

At the very least, I would consider getting rid of the actinic. Two 10000K
bulbs will give you a blueish light without needing actinic.

If you must have the actinic, it might help to add some faster growing plants,
like water sprite or hygrophila.

And you don't say how long you had the old bulbs. Maybe it was just a
coincidence that your algae problem started with the new bulbs? Do you know
your nitrate levels? (They are often quite high in African tanks.) And you
may need to add at least an iron supplement, such as TetraFlorapride.

Leigh

Old 28-04-2003, 10:08 PM
LeighMo

approx. 3 months, they were new.

Ah. Not long. The algae just might be a conincidence, then. It's normal for
a new tank to have varying algae infestations as it gets established. Or, it
could be that after several months, the plants are finally running out of
nutrients.

generally from 4-8ppm.

Pretty low. How do you keep them that low? Is your tank understocked, or do
you do a lot of water changes?

And you
may need to add at least an iron supplement, such as TetraFlorapride.

won't that affect the ph?

Not at all. TetraFlorapride contains only iron and potassium, neither of which
will affect pH. I think you should try it, or a similar supplement. (Liquid
iron.) With your plants and lighting level, you probably don't need anything
else.

Leigh

Old 28-04-2003, 10:08 PM
LeighMo

I've heard the opposite, that actinic light wasn't optimally suited for
algae

Personally, I'm not convinced that spectrum makes much of a difference. But
many planted tank keepers swear that bluer light leads to more algae. And
actinic lights tend to be very blue.

Leigh