Old 28-04-2003, 12:44 PM
Pat Meadows

Default seedling sadness grouch, grouch

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 03:33:00 GMT, Atara
wrote:

"Nicole H" wrote in
m:

Sounds like damping off.
I put all cukes, dill, lettuce, etc seeds directly into the ground.
Much easier than worrying about those little pots.

Unfortunately, those of us in colder climates with short growing seasons
often have to start almost everything indoors to give it a head start.

Right. I've also found that - generally - seed I put into
the ground doesn't grow. Something happens to it, either
birds eat it, or whatever....Most likely at present, the
heavy soggy clay that masquerades for soil at our place
smothers the seeds.

I start everything I possibly can indoors, then transplant
it later.

Pat