Old 27-04-2003, 04:32 PM
Hillary Israeli

Default seedling sadness grouch, grouch

I'm so annoyed. I had some great seedlings going - winter squash,
cucumbers, dill, various lettuces/greens, and some nice flowers too - and
they were all ready to go out into the garden last week, but I waited
because of sketchy weather and lack of time, and then this morning (two
days after the HVAC guy was here which I wonder if it was related because
he turned on the a/c for the first time in a year) they all seem to have
succumbed to some kind of molding rot. So annoying.

But, I still have plenty of seeds. Today I planted a bunch of the same
seeds directly into the garden, plus some beans, and some strawberry
plants, and some tomato plants (two lemon boy, one mr. stripey, and one
bonnie tomato). Oh, and one banana pepper plant that someone gave me.

newly minted veterinarian-at-large
Old 28-04-2003, 02:08 AM
Nicole H

Sounds like damping off.
I put all cukes, dill, lettuce, etc seeds directly into the ground. Much
easier than worrying about those little pots.

nicole

Old 28-04-2003, 04:44 AM
Atara

"Nicole H" wrote in
:

Sounds like damping off.
I put all cukes, dill, lettuce, etc seeds directly into the ground.
Much easier than worrying about those little pots.

Unfortunately, those of us in colder climates with short growing seasons
often have to start almost everything indoors to give it a head start.

Pretreating the soil with No-Damp helps stop damping off from happening. Or,
if you prefer, sprinkle cinnamon on the soil, or water the seedlings with
weak chamomile tea.

--
Atara
"Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus."
Old 28-04-2003, 12:44 PM
Pat Meadows

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 03:33:00 GMT, Atara
wrote:

"Nicole H" wrote in
m:

Sounds like damping off.
I put all cukes, dill, lettuce, etc seeds directly into the ground.
Much easier than worrying about those little pots.

Unfortunately, those of us in colder climates with short growing seasons
often have to start almost everything indoors to give it a head start.

Right. I've also found that - generally - seed I put into
the ground doesn't grow. Something happens to it, either
birds eat it, or whatever....Most likely at present, the
heavy soggy clay that masquerades for soil at our place
smothers the seeds.

I start everything I possibly can indoors, then transplant
it later.

Pat