Old 28-04-2003, 04:32 PM
Jim Donald

Default Garden Vac Question

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 08:54:55 +0000 (UTC),
(jane) wrote:

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 02:52:58 GMT, Jim Donald
wrote:

~Are garden vacs any use for sucking up small pieces of broken galss
~and other sharp objects - like screwnails etc?
~
~We often have a problem with glass & sharp debris near my garage and I
~was wondering if a petrol garden vac might be the solution. Fed up
~sweeping...
~
~TIA for any assistance.

I'd say definitely not.
If there is a built-in shredder blade, you'll end up with glass
splinters all over the inside of a cloth bag and this would be very
dangerous. If the screws haven't shorted it out or jammed it up first.
Even if there isn't a shredder blade the pieces may well go at high
speed through the bag (plastic/cloth usually) and into you.

Anything that accelerates sharp things to high speeds is to be
avoided!

(I've only got a mains-powered one for leaves, but it still has the
habit of blowing the bag off occasionally, which in your case would
shoot glass at your feet or side - definitely *not* to be recommended)

Many thanks for all your help. Trouble is - there's no handy mains
power, so I was looking for something petrol.

Anyway - back to the old drawing board ;-)

Jim