Old 28-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Theo

Default [IBC] Coral maple

HI Nina
the whole thing happened like that:
I bought the maple
I transplanted 14 days ago and it was ok
It started sprouting and having green leaves

The small twin trunk it had started sprouting also
Saturday morning it was all covered and rainy .. but the pot was in a good place
not exposed and soil was not wet nor dry
In the morning I noticed the small twin trunk had its leaves a darker green and I
thought might be a sucker from the grafted trunk ( I sow later on it was NOT
grafted )
in the evening when back home all leaves down and the stems were wilt
so I asked in the net as I few days ago something about coral maplesand related
problems cought my eye .
The down part of the main trunk ( nebari )was brownish but it is normal as after
2 years the red color disappers.. But one of the top branches that has been cut
and reduced and sealed I noticed was starting to decay and loosing color
So I preferred for 20 $ stock not to take the risk of infecting my others maples .

The earth I used was home made and sterilized with microwave and steam 5 min
power 9 and contained akadama and sand plus leaf mould ( oak leaves )top microwave
power )
the pot was just newly bought to make it grow for a while in that container
I gave ST :-) with the watering
thanks for all this concern
Theo

Nina Shishkoff wrote:

Nina reads too late:
So I throw away the plant and washed the pot with chlorine, as well as tools.

Theo! You panicked!

If I had caught you in time, I would have advised you to slice at the
base of the trunk with a razor blade, and look for brown streaks in
this year's wood. That's a sign of Verticillium.

Root problems all have the same sysmptoms: leaf death and stem wilt.
You can't tell one from another from symptoms alone. Granted, all
root problems are serious, but some can be fixed.
--
Nina Shishkoff

Frederick, MD

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: