Old 28-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Alan Walker

Default [IBC] Constructing display posts

Mike: This is a question that is harder to answer on a text forum, but I don't have
the photos available to show anyway. I made my display posts using treated
landscape timbers for posts. I set them in 24" holes and poured concrete footings
to secure them. I made them varying heights to accommodate different sized trees
and to provide visual dynamics.
On the top of the posts I screwed with stainless steel 3" screws a 2"x12"
piece of board of the length I thought I would need for pots. Usually this was
20"-25". I also made four supporting corbels out of treated 2"x4" with a gradual
ogee curve. These were placed to radiate out from each corner of the landscape
timber post. (If you use a 4"x4" you would need to chamfer the corners.) Finally,
I bought 1"x16" redwood to cover the top and screwed it to the 2"x12".
I modeled this after what I had seen in Vaughn Banting's bonsai area. He
graciously gave me a template for the corbels with the ogee curves. He told me that
he made several variations before finding the one with the most pleasing curves.
The devil is in the details!
Alan Walker, Lake Charles, LA, USA
http://LCBSBonsai.org http://bonsai-bci.com
P.S. It was nice getting to meet you at MABS 2003.
====================================
Michael Pollock wrote:
I'm thinking of adding display posts to my backyard (often called Monkey
posts, although I've never known why). Anyone have any construction
advice? I was thinking of using treated lumber for the verticals and
pieces of slate (which I have on hand) for the horizontal surfaces. How
would I secure the slate if I made them this way?
Thanks for your help,
Mike Pollock
Westchester County, NY, Zone 6 "ish"
Webmaster for www.yamakibonsai.org