Old 28-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Marty Haber

Default [IBC] Constructing display posts

Michael: I found pre-cast concrete forms at Home Depot which are perfect
for your stands. They have a slot for a 4 X 4 post.
After inserting the 4 X 4, you can keep the post from wobbling by driving a
wedge between the post and the concrete.
As for the slate platform idea, you have to be concerned about the heat
radiation thrown up on hot days. Ever walk on slate on a hot day with bare
feet? If your feet won't stand it, neither will your trees. Just build a
simple wood platform out of 2 X 4s. Joint the pieces with two 2 X 2s
underneath the platform.
Marty
Old 28-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Alan Walker

Mike: This is a question that is harder to answer on a text forum, but I don't have
the photos available to show anyway. I made my display posts using treated
landscape timbers for posts. I set them in 24" holes and poured concrete footings
to secure them. I made them varying heights to accommodate different sized trees
and to provide visual dynamics.
On the top of the posts I screwed with stainless steel 3" screws a 2"x12"
piece of board of the length I thought I would need for pots. Usually this was
20"-25". I also made four supporting corbels out of treated 2"x4" with a gradual
ogee curve. These were placed to radiate out from each corner of the landscape
timber post. (If you use a 4"x4" you would need to chamfer the corners.) Finally,
I bought 1"x16" redwood to cover the top and screwed it to the 2"x12".
I modeled this after what I had seen in Vaughn Banting's bonsai area. He
graciously gave me a template for the corbels with the ogee curves. He told me that
he made several variations before finding the one with the most pleasing curves.
The devil is in the details!
Alan Walker, Lake Charles, LA, USA
http://LCBSBonsai.org http://bonsai-bci.com
P.S. It was nice getting to meet you at MABS 2003.
====================================

Old 28-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Michael Persiano

In a message dated 4/28/2003 9:16:02 AM Eastern Standard Time, writes:

Anyone have any construction
advice? I was thinking of using treated lumber for the verticals and
pieces of slate (which I have on hand) for the horizontal
surfaces. How
would I secure the slate if I made them this way?

Mike and Others:

You can see how I construct my posts at the following url.

http://members.aol.com/iasnob/NewJersey.html

You will need to replace the pressure treated four-by-four timber every 10 or so years.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob/index.html

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 28-04-2003, 07:44 PM
dalecochoy

Michael,
I've made several different types of these over the years. Older ones used
treated 4x4 or the treated "garden ties" (that have flat sides but rounded
ends) and I've used cement cast tops and cedar/redwood latice tops,
but,
the last couple years I prefer , and will continue to use, treated 4x6 to
give a much nicer stable view with cement cast log rounds or cement cast
cypress cedar slabs. Both are cast as walkway pieces in a couple
sizes/shapes. They are sturdier and last longer that lattice tops for me. I
drill a hole through center with masonry bit and predrill a starter hole in
top of post then mount slab with a long lag bolt. I use a large washer on
lag bolt to distribute pressure. ( use some soap on the lag to go in nice).
BTW, I DON'T use cement to hold them in place. You don't really need it,
just tamp soil good around post using a 2x4 or something. Makes them easier
to move someday! Also, I DON'T go three feet down for frost. 2 feet works
just fine!. You are not building a house...just putting a poll in the
ground!BUT, it's best to use a post hole digger instead of spade so hole
stays roughly the size of post making filling and support easier/better.
Regards,
Dale Cochoy

Old 28-04-2003, 08:32 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Wow! Fantastic trees - individually. Put them together in that beautifully
constructed garden...absolutely spectacular! Gives me something to shoot
for 10 - 20 years from now when I have some nice trees to display.

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

Old 29-04-2003, 12:44 AM
Chriss Flagg

Dale,

I was just wandering what the results of your POLL? : ) Was it a scientific
poll or just for fun? LOL

Chriss Flagg
Puyallup, WA
The Other Washington

Old 30-04-2003, 07:56 AM
lynette g smith

Alan,
Can you please explain corbels and ogee curves. I am currently try to work
out how I will make two tops for some concrete uprights I have. I also want
to put a roof over because of their aspect. I thought I would use thin
bamboo for the roof. Is it possible to take a photo for the gallery. Thanks
Lynette
Sydney Australia