Old 28-04-2003, 08:56 PM
D. Wain Garrison

Default Need brand names of chemicals

I have had success with Neem Oil on scale that came in
on new plants.

D. Wain Garrison
If you can read you can learn anything, for
there are those smarter than you who can
write, however, not everyone who can write
is smarter than you.
"Michael Gerzog" wrote in message
om...
(DVardner) wrote in message

Before chucking what
may be salvagable, I need the brand names of chemicals I could try.

I will have
to buy them at Home Depot or a nursery so I need brand names.

Orthene is one of a few brand names for a systemic insecticide
containing acephate. Just read the labels and look for that. If you
can find it, a water soluble powder or granules is better than the
liquid, which is a petroleum base. In some parts of the country,
acephate is used in "fire ant killer", and is available in places like
HD. Otherwise you're most likely to find the emulsifiable (liquid)
version. Among other places, Rosemania.com sells the 97% Orthene
granules. If you have to keep it inside, the granules have the big
advantage of not smelling to high heaven even when sealed up in a
container -- the 75% percent powder is horrendous.

Unless you have a lot of plants or expect the problem to be ongoing,
and as long as you aren't very concerned about toxicity to people or
pets, I would go with acephate over Enstar II and the others because
of the initial cost and quick kill of the acephate. Also, acephate is
systemic and if you're going to continue to be pressed for time, it'll
give you a little more leeway in terms of repeat applications than
non-systemic products. Whatever product you use, you will have to
make repeat applications about 10 days apart.

For longer term use, the Enstar II is probably a better bet - it's one
of the rare few products that's labelled for use on "interiorscapes."
Since it's an insect growth regulator and shouldn't affect mammals,
it's certainly safer than most pest control products.

Michael