Old 29-04-2003, 02:32 AM
RichToyBox

Default koi breeding

Sacha,

I am in zone 7a/b, and my koi breed under a full moon in May and again in
June. I think the water temperature is about 70 degrees at the time of
breeding, but mine is heated to that temperature all winter until last
weekend. The covers are now off the ponds, and the temperature has dropped
about 3 degrees. With the warm weather this week it will be back up. As
for deciding age by size, it is very hard to do. Some is genetics, and the
fish will just never get but so big. Some is feeding, a well fed fish
raised in a mud pond should be about 12 to 15 inches at one year, 18 to 22
inches at 2 years and about 24 inches at three years. Most of us don't get
that good a growth rate, About the smallest fish that I have seen cast eggs
was probably about 18 inches, but the young males, as with all young males,
want in on the action, even if they are not old enough to know what they are
doing, or physically able.
--
RichToyBox

"MISSYMAGICGIRL" wrote in message
What's the temp on breeding and can you age koi's by their size??

Thanks,

Sacha