Old 29-04-2003, 05:20 AM
B & J

Default Fuschia - Will Mine Bloom This Year?

"Bob H" wrote in message
I kept my fuschia (var. Marinka) from last summer growing potted, lightly
watered and fertilized, in front of a south facing window all winter here in
Minnesota. It was growing good and early February I gave it a shearing back
by cutting all the branches back by 1/2. It never produced any flowers all
winter but the leaves are wonderful dark green and well formed and there are
lots of tiny branches continuing to sprout all over it.

So ... now it's warming up outside, all the cut back growth has gone crazy
and I have a very large, full, green great looking plant. I've put it back
outside where it was last year. Since it had no formal "winter rest", will
I get anything other than leaves this year?

Thanks for any response.

Bob

It certainly should bloom. Fuchsias bloom on new growth. Fuchsias are great
plants in shaded areas in cooler climates, and MN certainly has been that
this past winter! :-) It won't hurt to knock the plant from its pot and
remove as much of the old soil as possible and repot in fresh soil. As an
added bonus if you're interested in additional plants, each one of those
stems you cut off can be rooted easily and will started new plants.

John