Old 29-04-2003, 03:56 AM
Charles

Default Fuschia - Will Mine Bloom This Year?

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 02:11:06 GMT, "Bob H" wrote:

I kept my fuschia (var. Marinka) from last summer growing potted, lightly watered and fertilized, in front of a south facing window all winter here in Minnesota. It was growing good and early February I gave it a shearing back by cutting all the branches

back by 1/2. It never produced any flowers all winter but the leaves are wonderful dark green and well formed and there are lots of tiny branches continuing to sprout all over it.

So ... now it's warming up outside, all the cut back growth has gone crazy and I have a very large, full, green great looking plant. I've put it back outside where it was last year. Since it had no formal "winter rest", will I get anything other than le

aves this year?

Thanks for any response.

Bob

My guess is yes. They are impossible to stop from blooming when the
time comes. I live where it's warm, they don't get much of a rest,
and they are blooming now.

_

- Charles
-
-does not play well with others
Old 29-04-2003, 05:20 AM
B & J

"Bob H" wrote in message
I kept my fuschia (var. Marinka) from last summer growing potted, lightly
watered and fertilized, in front of a south facing window all winter here in
Minnesota. It was growing good and early February I gave it a shearing back
by cutting all the branches back by 1/2. It never produced any flowers all
winter but the leaves are wonderful dark green and well formed and there are
lots of tiny branches continuing to sprout all over it.

So ... now it's warming up outside, all the cut back growth has gone crazy
and I have a very large, full, green great looking plant. I've put it back
outside where it was last year. Since it had no formal "winter rest", will
I get anything other than leaves this year?

Thanks for any response.

Bob

It certainly should bloom. Fuchsias bloom on new growth. Fuchsias are great
plants in shaded areas in cooler climates, and MN certainly has been that
this past winter! :-) It won't hurt to knock the plant from its pot and
remove as much of the old soil as possible and repot in fresh soil. As an
added bonus if you're interested in additional plants, each one of those
stems you cut off can be rooted easily and will started new plants.

John

Old 30-04-2003, 06:08 AM
gregpresley

Fuchsias are really happiest in mild summer areas - places like the west
coast of the US, and I imagine, in New England - perhaps in the UP of
Michigan, places like that. I'm in inland Washington state, much hotter and
drier than the coastal areas, but fuchsias here will do beautifully if ALL
of the following conditions are met: a shady location - protection from dry
winds - plentiful watering and misting - a tree or overhang that will allow
the air to stay a little more humid than exposed areas - and cool nightime
temps. The last one is very hard to achieve in the midwest or even the
mid-Atlantic in mid and late summer - and the south - foggetaboutit.
"pelirojaroja" wrote in message
I love fuchsias, too, but I had a terrible time with them in hanging

baskets
last year, on my shaded North-facing porch. (I'm in Zone 5, Cleveland

OH.)
We had several 90F+ days, and they just did terribly, even with regular
watering and misting. They never recovered - just kept dropping leaves

and
tiny buds like crazy. I am still frustrated by the loss of those pretty
plants.

Is there any better success in planting them in the ground, versus having
them in hanging baskets?

One local nursery guys told me "Winters here are too cold for fuchsias,

and
the summers are too hot."

--
-- pelirojaroja