Old 29-04-2003, 12:44 PM
Pat Meadows

Default any secret tips on cilantro/basil in Colorado

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 04:03:35 GMT, "Stephen Younge"
wrote:

Hey folks:

I'm going to grow herbs for the first time this year; I have focused on
veggies until now. I'm planning to do cilantro, regular basil, and
potentially hot peppers (jalapenos or habernos). I live in the foothills of
Boulder, Colorado. The soil here is crap (50% rock) so I've dug some pits
that I'll fill with soil (plus other goodies like manure, etc.) that I have
bought at the store. I am thinking of putting seeds in the ground in a few
weeks.

Unless you want huge masses of cilantro, I don't see much
point in bothering to grow it outdoors.

I grow cilantro in a foil loaf pan (regular foil pan bought
at the grocery store) on a windowsill. I punch holes in the
foil pan first with a pencil for drainage.

I can have a continuous supply of cilantro (all year round)
simply by starting one foil loaf pan a week. The cilantro
only takes about 30-35 days to mature (from sowing the seed
to snipping the cilantro).

I have enough for two people by starting one foil loaf pan
per week.

I'm going to do the same thing with cress - I've ordered
cress seeds. This is the cress you are served in English
pubs as a garnish on sandwiches or salads. It's even faster
than cilantro.

Pat