Old 29-04-2003, 07:44 PM
John Bachman

Default milky spores in southern NH

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 14:09:52 -0400, J Bertilson
wrote:

I attended a talk about lawn care last week. One of the things that was mentioned
was milky spore and its effectiveness. The speaker said if works on Japanese
Beetle grubs, but there are more than one kind of grub and it is not effective on
them, so milky spore may be a waist of money.

The speaker was correct but milky spore is not a waste of money IMHO.
The Japanese Beetle grub is one of the most destructive and is also a
favorite of moles which do even more damage. Since I inoculated with
milky spore I have had no mole problem. But, yes, there are other
grubs in my lawn - I just do not notice any significant damage from
them.

A plus is that destroying Japanese Beetle grubs eliminates the beetles
themselves. You will get beetles flying in from neighbors yards but
by the time they fly about they are only interested in reproducing
(that is why they are flying about) and do little munching.

JMHO

Tim wrote:

I'm thinking about using milky spores for grub control in a lawn I seeded last
year. I don't have any problems now, but multiple people in the neighborhood
have lost their entire lawns to grubs. My current plan is to use Bayer with
Merit until I get the milky spore disease established. A couple of questions:

1) On a couple of milky spore websites, they say that it'll take 3-5 years to
get the milky spore disease established in New England (colder climates). How
can you tell when it's "established" and it's safe to stop applying it?

2) Has anyone else in New Hampshire had any experiences (good or bad) they'd
like to share?

Thanks!