Old 25-04-2003, 01:57 AM
Tim

Default milky spores in southern NH

I'm thinking about using milky spores for grub control in a lawn I seeded last
year. I don't have any problems now, but multiple people in the neighborhood
have lost their entire lawns to grubs. My current plan is to use Bayer with
Merit until I get the milky spore disease established. A couple of questions:

1) On a couple of milky spore websites, they say that it'll take 3-5 years to
get the milky spore disease established in New England (colder climates). How
can you tell when it's "established" and it's safe to stop applying it?

2) Has anyone else in New Hampshire had any experiences (good or bad) they'd
like to share?

Thanks!
Old 25-04-2003, 04:32 PM
LeeAnne

I'm about 20 miles north of Boston and all I can say is that it won't hurt
to put down the milky spore. For some reason I think that the spore may not
survive the winter where we are?? Maybe, but not sure.

Good luck
LeeAnne
-i know I have grubs because I can see the holes the skunks dig to get them
out -mmmm grubs :-)
om...

Old 26-04-2003, 03:20 PM

OH YEAH.. bacteria survive cold very well. and if the host survives, the microbe
will. Ingrid

"LeeAnne" wrote:

I'm about 20 miles north of Boston and all I can say is that it won't hurt
to put down the milky spore. For some reason I think that the spore may not
survive the winter where we are?? Maybe, but not sure.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 26-04-2003, 09:34 PM
Tim

So does this mean if I kill all the grubs, the milky spores will die as well?
I've seen websites that claim it'll last 15-20 years, could this be true?

Thanks again,
Tim

Old 29-04-2003, 07:20 PM
J Bertilson

I attended a talk about lawn care last week. One of the things that was mentioned
was milky spore and its effectiveness. The speaker said if works on Japanese
Beetle grubs, but there are more than one kind of grub and it is not effective on
them, so milky spore may be a waist of money.

JAB

Old 29-04-2003, 07:44 PM
John Bachman

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 14:09:52 -0400, J Bertilson
wrote:

I attended a talk about lawn care last week. One of the things that was mentioned
was milky spore and its effectiveness. The speaker said if works on Japanese
Beetle grubs, but there are more than one kind of grub and it is not effective on
them, so milky spore may be a waist of money.

The speaker was correct but milky spore is not a waste of money IMHO.
The Japanese Beetle grub is one of the most destructive and is also a
favorite of moles which do even more damage. Since I inoculated with
milky spore I have had no mole problem. But, yes, there are other
grubs in my lawn - I just do not notice any significant damage from
them.

A plus is that destroying Japanese Beetle grubs eliminates the beetles
themselves. You will get beetles flying in from neighbors yards but
by the time they fly about they are only interested in reproducing
(that is why they are flying about) and do little munching.

JMHO

Old 01-05-2003, 03:32 PM
LeeAnne

I'm not sure what Bayer w/Merit is (and to be honest I'm too lazy to go look
it up, lol) BUT if it is a pesticide then I'm one for voting against
applying it anywhere in your yard.

LeeAnne

"Tim" wrote in message
So maybe I shouldn't apply the Bayer w/ Merit as well as the milky spore?

[IMG] code is On

[IBC] moss spores? Kitsune Miko Bonsai 27 04-03-2004 09:32 AM
[IBC] Follow-up on Moss Spores Bill Sikes Bonsai 0 26-02-2004 02:31 AM
moss spores? Mike Bonsai 0 24-02-2004 04:04 PM
Hydrogen peroxide for blackspot spores? Mark. Gooley Roses 17 18-07-2003 02:48 AM
which medium is best for mushroom spores Pat London United Kingdom 1 02-03-2003 01:18 PM