Old 29-04-2003, 08:44 PM
K30a

Default Question about Blue Herring

Cathy wrote wow a kingfisher. Now thats a sight i would love to see.

You'll hear them before you see them.
They are very noisy birds. They have kind
of a kak-kak-kak call to announce themselves.
They will sit in a tree or on a shed roof and ruffle
their head feathers up and down. When they dive in the pond they go almost too
quickly to see and come back out just as quickly. They take their captive fish
to a branch, bash it about a bit to stun it and then either gulp it down or fly
off with it.

The first year I used a heron scarer with it, a weighted goldfish decoy. That
kingfisher dove in six times to try and catch the decoy and got wetter and
madder each time.
I haven't had a visit from such a determined one since then but they still do
come by and I probably have one or two fish disappear each year. To me
it is population control in the pond.

k30a