Old 28-04-2003, 11:32 PM
daytripper

Default Question about Blue Herring

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 22:15:48 GMT, "Russ and Cathy"
wrote:

How close do you think a Blue Herring will come to a house to eat out of a
pond? I saw our neighborhood Blue Herring circling today and am hoping that
he wont get near my pond. My ponds are about 15 feet or so from my house.
The small one is right close to the house.
Cathy

The neighborhood *herons* dine within 60 feet of our home...

Old 29-04-2003, 12:20 AM
Bill

"Russ and Cathy" wrote in message
news
How close do you think a Blue Herring will come to a house to eat out of a
pond? I saw our neighborhood Blue Herring circling today and am hoping
that
he wont get near my pond. My ponds are about 15 feet or so from my house.
The small one is right close to the house.

Anywhere he can get to. They are not shy at all when it comes to free
fish.

---

Old 29-04-2003, 02:20 AM
Russ and Cathy

"Bill" wrote in message
m...

Anywhere he can get to. They are not shy at all when it comes to free
fish.

Darn! Maybe my 3 dogs can keep them at bay. Do they come out to eat at
night?
Cathy

Old 29-04-2003, 02:32 AM
Russ and Cathy

"K30a" wrote in message

Depending on the heron.
They can be very aggressive in pursuit of
fish, then again some of us have them visit
once and never come back.

k30a

You would think with the large creek we have that the herons can find enough
fish in them to eat without coming onto my property to find
nourishment.......or at least that is what i am hoping.
Cathy

Old 29-04-2003, 03:08 AM
mad

weight it down with a line and brick.
mad
--
When blondes have more fun, do they know it?

From: "Russ and Cathy"
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 01:22:04 GMT
Subject: Question about Blue Herring

Nice thought but after today i am unwilling not to tie anything down with
the winds we get. That blow up alligator would prolly fly a couple of miles
and then POP!
Cathy

Old 29-04-2003, 03:21 AM
K30a

Cathy wrote the large creek we have that the herons can find enough
fish in them to eat without coming onto my property

Oh, but you've presented them so nicely
in a tranquil pond, and there are so many compared
to the creek and they are brightly coloured, easy to see, they can't escape
very far plus the landscaping is pretty and the atmosphere relaxed -----------
until the pond owners burst out of the house screaming, that is!

My labradors went a little insane when the heron showed up here. As far as I
know he hasn't been back. I do have a kingfisher in the winter who gets about a
fish a year.

k30a
Old 29-04-2003, 04:32 AM
Bill

"Russ and Cathy" wrote :

You would think with the large creek we have that the herons can find

enough
fish in them to eat without coming onto my property to find
nourishment.......or at least that is what i am hoping.

I had a pond next to a canal, I used to think that they preferred my
fish because they were better fed.

---

Old 29-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Russ and Cathy

Thanks for the tips k30a. I will keep them in mind.
Cathy

"K30a" wrote in message
Over the years we have gathered
together some tips for herons,
Heron tips:
- string fishing line all around the pond
- put in an electric fido fence
- netting over the pond.
- a motion activated sprinkler
- a brick flue at the bottom of the pond
to give the fish a place to hide
- Migratory Bird Act forbids lethal methods,
heavy fines and jail time take away from pond time ;-)

k30a

Old 29-04-2003, 05:56 PM
Russ and Cathy

Nothing i like better than being outdoors after dark looking in my ponds. So
serene!
Cathy
"Bill" wrote in message
m...

"Russ and Cathy" wrote :

Do they come out to eat at
night?

I've never seen them hunt at night, but then... it's all dark and
stuff...

---

Old 29-04-2003, 05:56 PM
Russ and Cathy

Ya know Bonnie, actually i am a bird lover as well. I think the herons are
beautiful prehistoric looking creatures. I just dont want them to feed out
of my ponds.
Cathy

"Bonnie Espenshade" wrote in message
Russ and Cathy wrote:
How close do you think a Blue Herring will come to a house to eat out of

pond? I saw our neighborhood Blue Herring circling today and am hoping

that
he wont get near my pond. My ponds are about 15 feet or so from my

house.
The small one is right close to the house.
Cathy

I think you mean a blue heron. And yes, they will come very
close to a house. My pond is very close to my porch and the
heron came within 13' of my house. It approached very
slowly, walking in from the field behind my house, it didn't
land by the pond.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 29-04-2003, 08:44 PM
K30a

Cathy wrote wow a kingfisher. Now thats a sight i would love to see.

You'll hear them before you see them.
They are very noisy birds. They have kind
of a kak-kak-kak call to announce themselves.
They will sit in a tree or on a shed roof and ruffle
their head feathers up and down. When they dive in the pond they go almost too
quickly to see and come back out just as quickly. They take their captive fish
to a branch, bash it about a bit to stun it and then either gulp it down or fly
off with it.

The first year I used a heron scarer with it, a weighted goldfish decoy. That
kingfisher dove in six times to try and catch the decoy and got wetter and
madder each time.
I haven't had a visit from such a determined one since then but they still do
come by and I probably have one or two fish disappear each year. To me
it is population control in the pond.

k30a
Old 30-04-2003, 04:57 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Russ and Cathy" wrote in message
how small is your smaller pond? Mine is 85 gallons or so. The heron does

not
bother with that.

=================================
One is 150 gallons, one is about 800 gallons and the largest is 2,000
gallons. We saw herons in all of them before we netted them.
--
Carol.......
"Warning: Dates on calendar are closer than

POE 2007 - Vanda Pakchong Blue 'Devera' - deep blue LARGE vanda Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 0 28-02-2007 05:19 AM
planting blue rug juniper and blue star juniper sams Gardening 1 24-04-2004 01:02 PM
Baby blue herring? Sam Hopkins Ponds 13 23-07-2003 01:42 AM
Baby blue herring? Sam Hopkins Ponds 6 16-07-2003 07:39 PM
Blue Tomatoes/Blue tomatoe seeds old whats his name Edible Gardening 2 23-04-2003 06:32 AM