Old 30-04-2003, 05:56 AM
GD

Default Hardy Lilly Depth

Rhizatomous US native water lilies grow from moist soil to about five
feet deep, although some stout plants survive in deeper water (seven
is the greatest depth I have seen). Potted lilies seem to do best in
water 3 ft and less deep.

American lotus follows the same trend. although it doesn't seem to
make emergent leaves and flower production is limited in water
greater than six feet deep. It seems that the shallower potted lotus
is kept, the more likely it is to run from its container. Some
response to shifted oxidation-reduction potentials or similar, it
seems.

Gregory Young" wrote:

Lotuses, unlike lilies, are marginals (emergents).
While they can be put in deeper water, most do best with only 1 or 2 inches
of water over them.
Happy ponding,
Greg

"EliezerE" wrote in message
How about Lotuses? I'm new to them, probably won't grow for me, but would
appreciate info about depth, or anything else.