Old 29-04-2003, 06:44 AM
Carl Beyer

Default Hardy Lilly Depth

Quick question...

I read that lilly's need to be 12" under water... My lilly is
reasonably new. Has about 5 leaves with stems at about 8"

Is it OKto lower it now, or should I wait. there is a lot of new
growth, but I am not sure when this can be lowered..

Carl

http://www.cobaltbluefilms.com
Old 29-04-2003, 02:56 PM
Lee Brouillet

I've plunked lilies with 8" growth to 24" with no problem. Within a day or
two, the leaves are back on the surface. It's a bit scary how fast they can
grow.

Lee

Old 29-04-2003, 05:20 PM
EliezerE

How about Lotuses? I'm new to them, probably won't grow for me, but would
appreciate info about depth, or anything else.
Old 29-04-2003, 09:08 PM
Jerrispond

How about Lotuses? I'm new to them, probably won't grow for me, but would
appreciate info about depth, or anything else.

If you are in zone 5-11 they should grow....They are harder to grow in the
pacific Northwest, but there are even a few people here from that area that
grow them....Lotus like 1 to 36 inches depth.....again it depends on the size
of the lotus....a teacup or bowl lotus only an inch or two and something like a
Mrs Perry Slocum will go down a few feet with no problem...I do however have a
Mrs.PS in a bog that is usually just mud. Jerri

Old 29-04-2003, 11:32 PM
Gregory Young

Lotuses, unlike lilies, are marginals (emergents).
While they can be put in deeper water, most do best with only 1 or 2 inches
of water over them.
Happy ponding,
Greg

Old 30-04-2003, 02:32 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Jerri,

Where does noe go to find out about depths? Are there any general cues for
families?

Ours have various depths, but that is happenstance.

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net
"Jerrispond" wrote in message

I've plunked lilies with 8" growth to 24" with no problem. Within a day

or
two, the leaves are back on the surface.

Again I say it depends on what kind of lily it is.....small medium or
large....all require different depths. Jerri

Old 30-04-2003, 03:46 AM
Nedra

Note: on the link I posted please be advised that for Lotus
don't do all the different fertilizing that Gareth says you should
do. I really think this would end up burning the tuber unless
you knew for certain what you were doing ;-) Better
off just putting the tuber in a Very Large closed container -
Use plain ole garden soil then add the Lily Bloom tabs.
That is what I do.

Nedra
"Nedra" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
Go to this site:
http://www.victoria-adventure.org/
... on the left you'll see the word Lotus.
Click on Lotus ... you'll see all the info you ever need right there.

Nedra in Missouri

Old 30-04-2003, 05:56 AM
GD

Rhizatomous US native water lilies grow from moist soil to about five
feet deep, although some stout plants survive in deeper water (seven
is the greatest depth I have seen). Potted lilies seem to do best in
water 3 ft and less deep.

American lotus follows the same trend. although it doesn't seem to
make emergent leaves and flower production is limited in water
greater than six feet deep. It seems that the shallower potted lotus
is kept, the more likely it is to run from its container. Some
response to shifted oxidation-reduction potentials or similar, it
seems.

Old 01-05-2003, 01:08 AM
RED1102

I have medium sized Lilies and I have them on milk crates so they are about 12"
below the surface. My pond is about 30-34 ins deep, should I put them on the
pond floor?
I have one small one that I keep on the crates also. I also have a minature
cattail
that I keep on the crates..any info would be
appreciated. Maybe all of them should go on the floor.
Carole
Old 02-05-2003, 03:32 AM
Nedra

Hi Greg ... Thanks a million for the great detail on how you plant
and fertilize your lotuses. I have saved this... and will follow it
this fall. This is the second year for my pond with no divisons
done yet. This past winter was so severe .. was afriad my lotuses
had gotten killed. They must be tougher than one thinks!
Thanks again!

Nedra

"Gregory Young" wrote in message
t...
I agree Nedra. They are heavy feeders, but they do fine fed once per

month.
I have 6 diff. varieties in my 2 large (1/2 acre) ponds.
To plant, I get the $25 - $37 Agway heavy plastic (feels almost like

rubber)
barrels that are 3 feet in diameter, and about 8 inches or so deep.
I dig out a hole in the clay floor of the pond, near the edge, and use the
clay excavated to fill the barrel, to 1 inch from the top of the barrel.
(I fill it part way, then drag it into the water for buoyancy to offset

its
weight a bit, then fill as above. I could never move a fully filled wet

clay
containing barrel of this size otherwise!)
Then I "plant" the tuber on the surface, (basically laying a flat stone of
top of it, so it doesn't float away), then drag the barrel into the hole .
When done the pot is 2 inches under water, maximum.
The lotuses grow like crazy, and bloom profusely (except last year the
blooms had a one day life span due to Japanese beetles!).
All the barrels are round (don't plant lotus in square pots, no matter

what
kind of pond you have, as the square edges can "pinch" the growing tip of
the tuber, which always seems to find that corner to get wedged in.
The other advantage of shallow depth is that I can catch the running tuber
when it jumps the pot edges, which is a yearly event, and put it back into
the pot, or as I had to do last year, cut it, as there was no room left...
Happy ponding,
Greg

rthlink.net...

Old 02-05-2003, 02:20 PM
BenignVanilla

"Gregory Young" wrote in message
t...
snip
[...]

I just got 2 healthy tubers from a friend, and they actually look like 4
stuck together in pairs...Can you recommend a safe way to divide them?

BV.

Old 02-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Gregory Young

I would not separate the pairs. .esp now as it is late in the lotus planting
season. By end of April (at the latest) bare root lotuses should be in. In
fact most nurseries usually don't ship bare root lotuses after March.
Lotuses have runners growing out on opposite ends of the tuber. You must be
careful not to cut the growing runners (tips) off, when the plant is
young/transplanted, or they can die.
Once established you can get away with it. (I did as mentioned with the
above lotus that had filled its 3 foot pot).
Many "tubers" you are sold are actually runners, and should not be divided,
just planted as is.
Tubers vary in size. The biggest I have seen is a full banana size. It was
clear what was the tuber, what were the runners for that one!
If yours are stuck together (assuming its the same variety), I'd leave them
together for this and the following season, then in season 3 did the plant
up (carefully), in early March (depending on your zone) before growth
resumes, and cut the tuber.. leaving at least 2 nodal areas beyond each cut.
You'll be surprised at how fast they grow, and how long these tubers get
each season.
You can literally use the buried tub approach (that I use in the pond), and
place the tubs in other areas in the yard, as long as you are sure to keep
them covered with a couple inches of water, and add mosquito dunks, etc (to
avoid standing water issues).
They make great foreground plants along the sides of fences etc.!
Happy ponding,
Greg

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...
[...]

..

Old 03-05-2003, 05:20 AM
bern

I would put a med. size hardy lily 12 to 18 inches and a min. lily about 6
inches. I would put a min. cat tail 1 inch below water. NOTHING that you
describe should go on the pond floor Jerri

I agree completely. I only have one lilly that has its crown 18 inches
from the water surface, and it is a very large lilly that thrives at
this depth. My other lillies are around 12 inches. They have only been
breaking the water surface for abou a week here in Michigan.

Hardy Pond Lilly Propagation Chester Deja Ponds 9 15-05-2006 10:28 AM
Hardy Pond Lilly Propagation ~ jan JJsPond.us Ponds 2 14-08-2004 07:25 AM
WIntering Hardy Lilly in LA question Carl Beyer Ponds 9 08-10-2003 05:12 PM
Hardy Lilly question Carl Beyer Ponds 5 26-04-2003 04:08 PM
Gravel depth Gen Australia 1 28-03-2003 08:32 PM