Old 30-04-2003, 07:20 AM
Alex R

Default It's bubble city in there, but no real plant growth !!

"Alan Silver"
wrote in
message

confession
The nitrate/nitrite/ammonia levels quoted were not accurate, nor
guaranteed. I gave up checking them some time ago when the tank had been
stable for ages. With a low fish load and lots of plants, I never needed
to worry about them. I quoted from memory what they were last time I
checked. Nitrates were never zero, but always low enough to be within
happy limits
/confession

OK, I better go and check them. I will probably need a new nitrate test
kit as the one I have is a bit old. I'll monitor it and see what
happens.

As long as you're buying new test kits, get a phosphate kit as well. With
your lighting, it's likely that there is not enough PO4 in your tank. And I
doubt your PMDD mixture has any potassium phosphate. Plants need PO4 as much
as other macronutrients. It might be a little difficult to find KH2PO4,
though.
__
Alex