Old 30-04-2003, 10:21 AM
Nick Gray

Default What's eating my Choisya?

"Paul Clark" wrote in message
My choisya is doing ok after a couple of years in the ground, nice flowers
this spring. However I think something is eating it. Just above the

point
on the main stems where leaves branch out something strips the bark down
which causes the stem to die above it. It's noticable because the head
turns yellow and then withers and dies. I cut out the dead part and a few
days or a week later another part starts dieing back.

Does anyone know what causes this or how I can stop it?

thanks,
Paul

Hi Paul,

If the bark is being stripped back, it sounds like deer having a nibble, as
they've done to my dog wood. Although they don't seem too bothered by my
choisya, but this may be because they can't get to the stems due to the
foliage.

There are dear deterrents, but I've resorted to only planting things that
deer don't eat.

HTH

Nick