Old 30-04-2003, 12:56 PM
Rachel Sullivan

Default Clematis "Nellie Moser" - container size shape?

In article , Hussein M.
writes
I have just purchased a Clematis "Nellie Moser" and am hoping to
put it in a container which will be on a narrowish outside stairway.

I am therefore limited with respect horizontal (approx. 1.5
sq.ft)but can get tall and deep to compensate.

Is the Clematis broad and shallow rooted or deep and narrow - or
will it, fortunately adapt? The pot will be in shade from direct sun
all day long save for a couple of hours at daybreak.

Deep roots - hence deep pot needed. Nellie gets to about 6 - 8ft tall,
but will bush out quite a bit too. If it makes the narrow stairway too
cramped you'll have to trim bits so she's not so wide. Plants often do
adapt to the conditions given ... but I'm not sure if clematis would
tolerate shallow soil for long. If you think about it, any plant that
is going to reach 7ft or so & flower profusely twice a year for weeks at
a time isn't going to like having no dinner to get its roots into. Plus
is needs *some* anchorage for all that top.

Don't forget to feed & water. It won't last forever in a pot - it'll
get pot bound. You'll either have to re-pot in winter when dormant
(trim the roots down or put in a bigger pot) or plant her out somewhere
& start again.

--
Rachel
Clematis Web Site