Old 30-04-2003, 12:56 PM
Rachel Sullivan

Default Clematis "Nellie Moser" - container size shape?

In article , Hussein M.
writes
I have just purchased a Clematis "Nellie Moser" and am hoping to
put it in a container which will be on a narrowish outside stairway.

I am therefore limited with respect horizontal (approx. 1.5
sq.ft)but can get tall and deep to compensate.

Is the Clematis broad and shallow rooted or deep and narrow - or
will it, fortunately adapt? The pot will be in shade from direct sun
all day long save for a couple of hours at daybreak.

Deep roots - hence deep pot needed. Nellie gets to about 6 - 8ft tall,
but will bush out quite a bit too. If it makes the narrow stairway too
cramped you'll have to trim bits so she's not so wide. Plants often do
adapt to the conditions given ... but I'm not sure if clematis would
tolerate shallow soil for long. If you think about it, any plant that
is going to reach 7ft or so & flower profusely twice a year for weeks at
a time isn't going to like having no dinner to get its roots into. Plus
is needs *some* anchorage for all that top.

Don't forget to feed & water. It won't last forever in a pot - it'll
get pot bound. You'll either have to re-pot in winter when dormant
(trim the roots down or put in a bigger pot) or plant her out somewhere
& start again.

--
Rachel
Clematis Web Site
Old 30-04-2003, 09:32 PM
Rachel Sullivan

In article , Charlie
Pridham writes

I know opinions as to pot growing clematis vary ! but I have grown some of
mine in pots for years BUT although I use just 10lt pots, I repot every year
in the same pot (removing about a third of the root ball each time) but the
size difference of both the plant, and the flowers on it are quite marked.
Alternatively some customers pot grow for 2-3 years then plant that plant
out and replace the one in the pot. So long as you accept that in a pot, its
a pot plant, and needs that level of care, everything is fine :~)

Yes. A friend of mine has grown hybrid clematis in pots for years and
years. Even quite tall ones like Ville de Lyon, and they are fine
because she does exactly what you do. And as you say, the alternative
is to treat them as a 'long term 3/4 year bedding plant' & then plant
out in the garden & start again.
--
Rachel
Clematis Web Site
Old 30-04-2003, 09:32 PM
Rachel Sullivan

In article , Hussein M.
writes
On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 08:45:37 +0100, Rachel Sullivan
wrote:

Is the Clematis broad and shallow rooted or deep and narrow - or
will it, fortunately adapt? The pot will be in shade from direct sun
all day long save for a couple of hours at daybreak.

Deep roots - hence deep pot needed.

Thank you so much Rachel. That is actually what I wanted to hear.

I looked it up on your site by the way. Your's was cheaper but I
have no transport to come and see your wonderland.

Ho, what a shame - a wonderland it is! They are growing at about 3
inches per day and I just can't keep up, but goodness, they look pretty.
It's the time of year when all nursery people wish they didn't have to
sleep & had endless energy!

I am ecstatic coz I have been given a stock plant of a new variety
(Vince Denny) - do all you other nursery peeps get a kick out of
acquiring new things? Even though you have hundreds, if not thousands,
of other plants?

--
Rachel
Clematis Web Site

mulch for Akebia and Nelly Moser NC United Kingdom 13 02-04-2006 08:59 AM
Nelly Moser Joanne United Kingdom 3 28-06-2004 12:13 PM
Nellie Stevens Holly problem Roger Ramjet Gardening 1 06-04-2004 08:49 PM
Nellie Stevens Holly problem Roger Ramjet Gardening 1 06-04-2004 08:44 PM
Roses by bush size/shape [email protected] Roses 0 20-04-2003 12:20 AM