Old 30-04-2003, 02:32 PM
Kevin Eberwein

Default Help!! My roses may be dying.

(Shiva) wrote in message news:3a4765342f6bef5e4fb020a1570cb2f1@TeraNews.. .

You need to water your roses more. You should have been out there
watering the bare roots every day to make sure the canes did not dry
out until you saw the first growth. Thereafter, two deeeeeeeep
soakings a week might suffice. Meaning: water with a gentle stream
until runoff begins, then move to another bed and come back three or
four times.

I've got a mister system installed in the bed that has a downward
spray so that the foliage of the roses doesn't get wet. I've been
running it for 30 minutes twice a week. This was enough to see water
soaking into the ground at the base of the raised bed.

You should not have used this stuff on your plants until you saw maybe
5-7 inches of strong new growth.

I didn't spray the roses until last week and all of them had at least
6 inches of new growth on them.

What is being sold here as Rose Pride (I am in Raleigh) is just the
fungicide. The combination insecticide/fungicide is called Orthenex.

But that is not your problem. Your roses are dehydrated. Give them
three times the water you think is sufficient, and they might survive.
They have to drain well.

That is all you have to do until they get bigger and stronger.

Next time, do not go near your bare roots with any chemicals at all
until they have 5-7 inches of robust new growth. And water more. No
fertilizing until much later.

Good luck.

Thanks. I'm going to step up the watering schedule so that I'm
watering at least every other day. Should I shoot for watering every
day??