Old 30-04-2003, 05:32 PM
SugarChile

Default A Fool and His Money Or One Man's Weed...

Around here, people scorn goldenrod, partly because of (incorrectly)
believing it causes allergy symptoms, and partly because of the "weed"
connotation. I have a lovely specimen in a bed near the road that blooms
gloriously each fall, and people who inquire are always shocked when I tell
them what it is.

I saw some in the nursery last week, and they had labeled it goldenRAY.
What a hoot!

Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

On the other hand, I also see people who snub plants because
they are common. We have a plant booth as part of a fund raiser
for Historic Camden (in South Carolina, not New Jersey) each
spring and fall. Last spring we had a small swamp sunflower
(Helianthus angustifolius ) donated for the sale. A master
gardener turned her nose up and proclaimed "That's just a
weed ditch, and that particular plant is a cull!" Well, that cull
of a weed ditch produced a tsunami of yellow flowers in my
front yard last fall. It was lovely!

Pam