Old 30-04-2003, 05:20 PM
Pam

Default A Fool and His Money Or One Man's Weed...

In our last fun filled episode, Tue, 29 Apr 2003 10:17:06 -0400,
Gary Woods proclaimed:

Pam wrote:

Back in the 80's I got a seed catalog that advertised
kudzu seeds for sale.

I remember seeing tadpoles in an aquatic garden catalog. $2.95 each plus
air shipping!

I'm still surprised at what turns up in seed catalogs or plant
stores. I keep seeing passion flower presented as something
exotic, and thus, expensive. We called 'em may pops when I
was a child because the seed pods popped loudly when
smashed on the road. They grow wild all over the place in this
part of the country, but people snatch them up when they're
potted up all purty in stores. They're lovely flowers, but
exotic?

On the other hand, I also see people who snub plants because
they are common. We have a plant booth as part of a fund raiser
for Historic Camden (in South Carolina, not New Jersey) each
spring and fall. Last spring we had a small swamp sunflower
(Helianthus angustifolius ) donated for the sale. A master
gardener turned her nose up and proclaimed "That's just a
weed ditch, and that particular plant is a cull!" Well, that cull
of a weed ditch produced a tsunami of yellow flowers in my
front yard last fall. It was lovely!

Pam

Old 30-04-2003, 05:32 PM
SugarChile

Around here, people scorn goldenrod, partly because of (incorrectly)
believing it causes allergy symptoms, and partly because of the "weed"
connotation. I have a lovely specimen in a bed near the road that blooms
gloriously each fall, and people who inquire are always shocked when I tell
them what it is.

I saw some in the nursery last week, and they had labeled it goldenRAY.
What a hoot!

Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA