Old 30-04-2003, 11:08 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Maths to answer Hussein - OT (was Snails)

In article ,
Kay Easton wrote:

Or even 9st 4 lb, where the stones are decimal but the pounds are to
base 14 ;-)

Oh, yeah? Stones as in fraction of a hundredweight? Or a ton?

Well, I was thinking of stones as in terms of weight, and whereas I'm
quite happy to believe *your* weight should be measured in
hundredweights, mine most certainly is not! ;-)

Oh, you mean PERSONAL weights (nudge, nudge, wink, wink)?

I can certainly remember that the conventional set of units for
weights was tons, hundredweight, stones, pounds and ounces, and
that you would have been marked down for failing to use any of
them. Don't ask me why personal weights were an exception.

I am happy to believe that you weigh less than 8 stone, but I am not
concerned that I don't! At 18, I was 9 stone (i.e. 1 hundredweight,
1 stone) - and at 6'2", that is seriously underweight. I am now 3-4
stone heavier :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.