Old 01-05-2003, 02:20 AM
Ted Byers

Default seedling sadness grouch, grouch

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
Sounds like damping off.

I missed the beginning of this thread, but I used to have a lot of
"damping off" or "water mold" problems. Another gardener suggested that
I sprinkle a thin covering of spaghnum moss on top. Not peat, spaghnum.
I haven't had a problem since.

That would be because sphagnum has significant biocidal properties.
Bacteria and fungae tend not to like it very much. But, if problems arise
using it, you will want to check the pH first (NB: I am not sure what effect
ammending the pH will have on its biocidal properties). Check it out.
Sphagnum bogs preserve just about everything that dies and is buried by the
moss.

Cheers,

Ted