Old 01-05-2003, 02:32 AM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

Default Florida Home

I would generally agree about the ineffectiveness of them in high-humidity
conditions - I AM an engineer, after all - but I saw an evaporative cooler
in use INSIDE of a greenhouse in Houston in August, and the output was
noticeably cooler.

One is not getting that much more hot and humid in the continental US, and
if it worked there...

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

"V_coerulea" wrote in message
I don't live in FL but SC is close. I agree with Mick in that you can't

rely
on the evaporative pads for good cooling on humid days. But in the worst

of
summer, it usually keeps the temps down in the 80's instead of 90's or low
100's. On drier days, it's absolutely beautiful. Even on humid days, they
can go through a lot of water, so you know some cooling has to be going

on.
Some of the cooling may be due just to the temp difference of the air and
water. I don't know the efficiency of the evap pads compared to , say

mist,
but the temps are better than no cooling, for absolutely certain. I

haven't
tried and air conditioner with mist. Maybe someday when I win the lottery.

"Mick Fournier" wrote in message
news
Ken,

In your greenhouse look for bugs you have only read about in the past.
Become very good friends with the snakes and anoles who live in your

green
house. Watch out for hurricanes. Evaporative coolers work well in

Arizona
but I wouldn't depend on one in Florida for cooling much in June through
September... the humidity is too high here in the summer.

Mick

"kenwoodward" wrote in message
. net...
My orchids whispered to me that they might be far more comfortable in

Florida home. Naturally I listened to them. It is important to

listen
CLIP