Old 30-04-2003, 12:56 AM
kenwoodward

Default Florida Home

My orchids whispered to me that they might be far more comfortable in a
Florida home. Naturally I listened to them. It is important to listen
carefully to what your orchids have to say. So my wife and I (I didn't take
the orchids. Two's company; 200's a crowd.) went to look at what Florida had
to offer. She was looking for a swimming pool; I was looking for enough
land to put in a greenhouse. We both got lucky and now we are well on our
way to owning a house in North Port. I am enlisting the help of those who
know the area to recommend: 1) an orchid society and 2) what to look for in
a Florida greenhouse (I was thinking of an evaporative cooler since I saw
one operating at Selby Gardens, but how effective would it be in FL?).
Those of you that have greenhouses, what would you look for if you could
start over? Thanks in advance.

________________
Ken Woodward
Newton, MA
http://kwoodward.net

Old 30-04-2003, 03:09 AM
Mick Fournier

Ken,

In your greenhouse look for bugs you have only read about in the past.
Become very good friends with the snakes and anoles who live in your green
house. Watch out for hurricanes. Evaporative coolers work well in Arizona
but I wouldn't depend on one in Florida for cooling much in June through
September... the humidity is too high here in the summer.

Mick
---------------------------

"kenwoodward" wrote in message
. net...
My orchids whispered to me that they might be far more comfortable in a
Florida home. Naturally I listened to them. It is important to listen

CLIP

Old 30-04-2003, 03:22 AM
Gene Schurg

Wow Ken!!! My orchids don't talk to me. What have you been spraying?

I have an Evaporative cooler and was shocked to see how well it works.
Really cools things down on those hot humid days.

Good luck with the move,
Gene

Old 30-04-2003, 03:46 AM
kenwoodward

"Karen" wrote in message
kenwoodward wrote:
[...]

Wow Florida, Congratulations. No more winters?
Karen

I may have to face one more winter. It looks like retirement will come next
Feb. I'm just getting ready.

Old 30-04-2003, 03:46 AM
kenwoodward

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
Wow Ken!!! My orchids don't talk to me. What have you been spraying?

You need to listen very carefully -- or is it the neem fumes?

I have an Evaporative cooler and was shocked to see how well it works.
Really cools things down on those hot humid days.

Good luck with the move,

Thanks.

Gene

Old 30-04-2003, 07:32 AM
jimwatts

For the evaporative cooler, see what the costs for a well are. You'll
probably want/have one for the yard anyway. Then make sure that the
holding tank is under cover or underground. That will cool the water
also and help the wetwall.
When I water, I have to use city water and it comes out of a hose.
If I water in the afternoon, it's necessary to run the water a couple
minutes and get rid of the solar heated water already in the hose. In
the am, the hose is shaded.

jimwatts
Old 30-04-2003, 04:20 PM
Wendy

I can't help with the Orchid Society or Greenhouse but for a really great
cooler here is some info:-
Convair Cooler Corp. 1(800) 9 convair - Model WV-47

They are in Phoenix AZ & no retail but a call or search to find the nearest
distributor.
They are designed & manufactured by those wonderful guys down under!
The coolers are more expensive than the norm but are made of a thick heavy
duty polymer &
the only metal in them is the motor & pump shaft.
Good luck in your new area, I'm sure your orchids will reward you.
Cheer Wendy

Old 01-05-2003, 02:32 AM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

I would generally agree about the ineffectiveness of them in high-humidity
conditions - I AM an engineer, after all - but I saw an evaporative cooler
in use INSIDE of a greenhouse in Houston in August, and the output was
noticeably cooler.

One is not getting that much more hot and humid in the continental US, and
if it worked there...

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

"V_coerulea" wrote in message
I don't live in FL but SC is close. I agree with Mick in that you can't

rely
on the evaporative pads for good cooling on humid days. But in the worst

of
summer, it usually keeps the temps down in the 80's instead of 90's or low
100's. On drier days, it's absolutely beautiful. Even on humid days, they
can go through a lot of water, so you know some cooling has to be going

on.
Some of the cooling may be due just to the temp difference of the air and
water. I don't know the efficiency of the evap pads compared to , say

mist,
but the temps are better than no cooling, for absolutely certain. I

haven't
tried and air conditioner with mist. Maybe someday when I win the lottery.

news

Old 01-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Diana Kulaga

You're right to think twice about growing around the pool. There are
benefits, such as higher night time temps when it gets overly cool, as it
did this past winter. But - my husband just finished cleaning the patio
again. Watering, fertilizing, dead blooms, a falling leaf now and again
make for a mess. I've tried to transfer all but the Vandas and Phals out to
the new area (the Vandas make very little mess, and love their spot, and the
Phals need the cover of the patio roof). Unfortunately, though, what
started out to be an alternative orchid space is fast becoming "additional"
space. It's a sickness.................

Diana

Old 06-05-2003, 02:21 AM
kenwoodward

Thanks for the info. I have noticed a number of articles on evaporative
cooling since I posted. I think the contention of one article was that no
matter how high the dew point, as the temperature rose, the RH tended to
move toward 50%. The author stated that you could expect a 10 degree temp
drop even in Florida. I'll have to do a little experimenting.
________________
Ken Woodward
Newton, MA
http://kwoodward.net

"Keha11" wrote in message
I should have mentioned that the thermostat is about 40 feet from the cool

pads
so it is considerably cooler right in front of the pads.
Keith

5 TIPS FOR BETTER MANAGEMENT OF HOME BUSINESS...5 TIPS FOR BETTERMANAGEMENT OF HOME BUSINESS...5 TIPS FOR BETTER MANAGEMENT OF HOMEBUSINESS... Tonya Thompson United Kingdom 0 28-04-2009 01:30 PM
Florida Home for Sale pixi Ponds 23 17-08-2004 04:45 AM
Florida Home for Sale pixi Ponds 0 13-08-2004 12:51 PM
Florida Home for Sale pixi Ponds 0 13-08-2004 12:51 PM
Hernando Florida Koi need new home Sue Walsh Ponds 1 03-05-2004 04:09 PM