Old 01-05-2003, 02:32 AM
Eric Muehlbauer

Default Water quality for orchids

As a current resident of Rego Park, Queens, and a former resident of
Park Slope, Brooklyn I am quite familiar with NYC tap water....I would
worry far more about NYC climate for your Draculas, as its quickly
killed any I have tried...but do not worry about the water! NYC tapwater
is about as good as tap water can get, soft, and with a neutral to near
neutral (6.9) ph. It is perfectly safe on all orchids, including the Cyp
acaule that I have in my garden. Because of its softness, you should be
careful with the pH of your fertilizers. I use Dynagro, and use Prtekt
to adjust the pH of my fertilizer to about 6.5-6.8...The water is only
minimally chlorinated. It does contain trace amounts of phosphate...fine
for plants, but bad for my reef tank in the long run. To deal with that,
I got a Tap Water Purifer by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals (sells for about
$45 or so on any online pet dealer...more expensive in stores). Its a
deionizer....and our water is so good that a single cartridge can last
for 4-5 months before changing. Take care, Eric Muehlbauer is pleasant
Queens, NY, enjoying the spectacular Paph emersonii I bloomed, using NYC
water....11 cm across and fragrant!