Old 26-02-2003, 02:13 AM
David Ryno

Default Thinking about a worm bin

Hey! I want in on this too. Cool post!

Bill Tschumy wrote:
I'm getting tired of putting kitchen waste in my compost pile and having the
raccoons digging it up (it is all vegetable material BTW). I'm thinking of
getting a worm bin and am curious about others experience.

1. There seem to be several types now: Simple plastic bins, Stacking trays,
Continuous Flow bins and Lateral Movement bins (see
http://www.wormdigest.org/wormbins.html). Anyone here have any personal
experience with the different types?

2. We are thinking of keeping it in the laundry/utility room, but I'm
concerned there will be an odor. I know a well functioning bin should have
very little odor, but how feasible is it to keep it "well functioning" 100%
of the time?

3. If the laundry room is not an option, can it be kept in a garage in
central Texas? How cold/hot can the worms tolerate?

Thanks,