Old 24-02-2003, 03:33 PM
Bill Tschumy

Default Thinking about a worm bin

I'm getting tired of putting kitchen waste in my compost pile and having the
raccoons digging it up (it is all vegetable material BTW). I'm thinking of
getting a worm bin and am curious about others experience.

1. There seem to be several types now: Simple plastic bins, Stacking trays,
Continuous Flow bins and Lateral Movement bins (see
http://www.wormdigest.org/wormbins.html). Anyone here have any personal
experience with the different types?

2. We are thinking of keeping it in the laundry/utility room, but I'm
concerned there will be an odor. I know a well functioning bin should have
very little odor, but how feasible is it to keep it "well functioning" 100%
of the time?

3. If the laundry room is not an option, can it be kept in a garage in
central Texas? How cold/hot can the worms tolerate?

Thanks,

Old 26-02-2003, 01:45 PM
N. Woolley

I've had a worm bin for maybe five years now. My house is on a slope and
has a room underneath one corner - not quite a 'basement', but under the
house. The temperature there is fairly constant. Cool in summer and warm
in winter. I think that may be a secret to my success. The worms won't
do well in the temperature extremes of a garage. I don't really notice
any odor. I do notice fruit flies. At times they are so numerous that I
have found some fruit fly traps that are very helpful. I also have
spiders in the box. They don't bother me - but it might be a worry if
you keep the box inside your house. I don't really have an opinion on
the different boxes since I've only owned one. It's just a simple box
with a spigot at the bottom. Make sure the box has a spigot or something
for drainage. And save that 'worm water', it's great for plants too.
There's even a book on worm composting! "Worms Eat My Garbage". It's an
excellent reference.

-Nancy

Old 26-02-2003, 04:45 PM
Bill Tschumy

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 7:45:26 -0600, N. Woolley wrote
(in message ):

[...]

Well, fruit flies would be a definite impediment to me keeping it in the
house (which appears to be my only option). Someone else replied to me
privately indicating they microwave all food before putting it in the box.
They felt this kept down the insect population. Thoughts?

Old 26-02-2003, 11:05 PM
Mr. Chaos 007

I raise earthworms and sell them. We raise them in coolers (with lids) just
outside the back door. I wouldn't bother getting any special things. Those
rubbermaid containers at Walmart would be just fine. You just have to
control the wetness and pH correctly (not hard). When properly covered and
with the proper amount of food they really don't stink (but I haven't raised
them by the house during the summer). In the coolers, I am raising European
Nightcrawlers which have done very well. They get big and are easy.

My main method is outside under my rabbit hutches and I also have a big worm
pit (4' x 8') where I throw my nasty compost behind this building and I
don't care who does what to it. There are just tons and tons of worms in
that pit. I break all the rules there, throw onions and citrus. One of the
best worm foods is juicer solids, especially carrots. They just love em.
They like sugar too!!!! Soda or anything sweet.

If you are worried about nasty smells you may have to control how much food
they get and don't put really stinky food in there. For, instance bread or
grain stuff really never stinks and would be no problem. If you added rotten
broccoli or cabbage or potatos that may be a problem. I wouldn't worry about
putting them out on the back porch or in a shed either. We just went through
this freeze all of mine were outside and did fine, all happy.

So come by and get some when you are ready, we sell the whole cooler and
probably several thousand worms ready to go for $35 for Euro Nightcrawlers
or $30 for Red Wigglers or mixed. I have one bin I would sell for $20. We
also just sell worms depending on how many you want. We are located in NE
Austin and have an interesting store mostly herbs and herb products. Be glad
to show you what we are doing.

Dave
Gardens of the Ancients Herb Emporium and Nursery
www.gardensoftheancients.com

. sbcglobal.net...

Old 27-02-2003, 02:52 PM
N. Woolley

Microwaving food scraps before putting them in the worm bin? Hmmmm...
well I guess that might be an option. Or maybe freezing would be another
way to go? I have no experience with either.

Old 04-03-2003, 09:41 AM
Jon R. Nials

N. Woolley wrote:

Microwaving food scraps before putting them in the worm bin? Hmmmm...
well I guess that might be an option. Or maybe freezing would be another
way to go? I have no experience with either.

put shredded damp newspaper over the top each time you add some garbage.
That keeps the fruit fly's down quite effectively