Old 01-05-2003, 11:08 AM
Stuart Forbes

Default Vandalism/plants that eat stuff

Is that as much fun as sitting out on the back porch on a warm summer
evening, sipping a cool one, and watching the bug zapper in action? ;-)

Bart

Much more fun! A sarracenia takes time to catch its prey. Its like a big
open mouth that just sits there waiting for something to fall in, with drug
laced nectar dripping from it to help the insect on its way. It can be like
watching a nature documentary, the prey slowly being lured to its death by
the hunter as it climbs the tube to its death above. The anticipation is
torture sometimes! I've watched insects for over an hour before they've
staggered, half drunk on nectar, into the trap. Not as instantly gratifying,
but far more fulfulling.

Comments about too much time on my hands, need a life/girlfriend/hobby etc,
have all been heard before ;-)

Regards,

Stuart Forbes
Edinburgh, Scotland