Old 01-05-2003, 05:34 PM
Anthony Cottle

Default Kiwifruit

I have grown pomegranate for more than a decade and always have lots of
flowers but never any fruit. When I lived near Zebulon there were sometimes
some for sale at the downtown hardware store (Debnam's?) that were grown by
someone locally. It was in late fall if memory serves me well. I have been
told that there are male and female plants but Dirr makes no mention of this
in his Manual of Woody Landscape Plants. Perhaps mine is not producing
fruit because I have only a male or female. There is one growing in
someone's garden on Boylan Avenue, two or or three blocks north of
Hillsborough Street that is magnificent every summer.

Tony

"Susan Hogarth" wrote in message
Has anyone tried growing kiwi here? The little berry-sized ones look like

they'd
be OK for this climate. My fat old beagle, Ed, loves the apples and pears

which
rain from heaven every summer, and I'd like to surprise him with something

new
next season

And... pomegranates? Does anyone around here grow them - even in

containers? I
saw one in full fruit in Albuquerque once, so it seems as if it would be

do-able
here....

- Susan