Old 01-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Anne Lurie

Default free seeds, and a tomato question

I just got the Burpee catalog, and it shows Big Rainbow in its Classic Giant
tomato section. Judging from the picture, this yellow tomato is not exactly
gorgeous, as it's deeply lobed(?) rather than nice & round; however, the
slice looks to have a lot of meat compared to seeds.

Burpee's website: http://www.burpee.com

Also, Seeds of Change offers the San Marzano paste tomato, which looks
orange. http://www.seedsofchange.com

Good Luck!

Maybe you should think in terms of growing the tomato varieties you want,
and covering them all with netting or some such? (Easy for me to suggest,
as I've never had all that much problem with birds going after my
omatoes -- this past summer being the sad exception, when all the critters
seemed to be eager for water and/or sustenance.)

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

wrote in message
I no longer have any use for these seeds in case anyone else wants them:

sweet pea winter flowering mix
Mexican coriander
orange pixie hybrid tomato
giant pink belgium tomato
lemon basil
cinnamon basil
tarragon (Artemisia Redowski)
lavender

Only the sweet pea packet has never been opened. I assume all the seeds
are still viable, but hey, they're free, so there's no concern about
getting screwed.

As for the tomato question, just wondering if anyone knows of a seed
company where I can get yellow (or any non-red) plum tomato. Actually, any
tomato suitable for a sauce would work, so long as it's not red. The
birds seem to attack any red fruit that I grow.