Old 01-05-2003, 05:44 PM
David

Default Oak leaf hydrangea

I think the oak leaf hydrangea is one of our most beautiful plants for
a wooded garden. As you mention, it has year 'round interest, and
it's a native, too. They are easy to grow in good soil and part sun.
If the north side of your house comes anywhere close to meeting those
conditions, give it a try. If it is in total shade there but the soil
is OK, it will probably be leggy, or even snaky, with long, low
branches and few flowers. But it will still be interesting and
attractive. If you have room, you may want to also plant some
reliable backdrop, such as acuba or holly.

If your soil isn't good (rich, deep, draining) either fix up a little
bed or don't bother planting.