Old 01-05-2003, 05:44 PM
EHMAXEY

Default Oak leaf hydrangea

I am considering one of these for the north side of my house. Opinions?
I had one at the edge of the woods which did not survive, and if this is
typical I will not try again. This location, though, will have no competition
from tree roots, which might've been the problem the last time.

Pictures of this shrub are always beautiful. Plus I saw one in winter once-
the dried flower heads were a gorgeous rosy color.

Old 01-05-2003, 05:44 PM
David

I think the oak leaf hydrangea is one of our most beautiful plants for
a wooded garden. As you mention, it has year 'round interest, and
it's a native, too. They are easy to grow in good soil and part sun.
If the north side of your house comes anywhere close to meeting those
conditions, give it a try. If it is in total shade there but the soil
is OK, it will probably be leggy, or even snaky, with long, low
branches and few flowers. But it will still be interesting and
attractive. If you have room, you may want to also plant some
reliable backdrop, such as acuba or holly.

If your soil isn't good (rich, deep, draining) either fix up a little
bed or don't bother planting.