Old 01-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Pat Brothers

Default Sun and shade

Acuba, Mahonia, Azalea, Camellia, Sweet Box (Sarcacocca), Privet - the
big leafed kind, Daphne, Gardenia, Rhododendron, Leucothoe, Fatsia,
Fatshedera, Hypericum, mature Ivy ( a great looking shrub ),Boxwood, Yew...
You can underplot with Hellebore, Fern, Aspidistra, Heuchera...
Drainage and soil conditions are critical to many of these plants. Be
sure to examine your soil as well as your sun. Go by your local nursery
and look at plants in stock as well as to the library to look at
pictures. Look at what your neighbors are growing as well.

MAC wrote:

I'd like to plant some shrubs in the front yard close to the house, but
that side faces north and the plants would be in sun only a month or two
during the summer. There's moss growing there now, so I'm not sure
exactly what kind of plant, if any, would survive in that location. Has
anyone had experience with something like this?

Thanks,

MAC

Pat Brothers
The Powell House
Wake Forest
and the Perennials Lady at Atlantic Ave. Orchid and Garden Center