Old 01-05-2003, 05:44 PM
MAC

Default Sun and shade

I'd like to plant some shrubs in the front yard close to the house,
but that side faces north and the plants would be in sun only a month
or two during the summer. There's moss growing there now, so I'm not
sure exactly what kind of plant, if any, would survive in that
location. Has anyone had experience with something like this?

Thanks,

MAC
--
Take out Chinese to reply.

Old 01-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Pat Brothers

Acuba, Mahonia, Azalea, Camellia, Sweet Box (Sarcacocca), Privet - the
big leafed kind, Daphne, Gardenia, Rhododendron, Leucothoe, Fatsia,
Fatshedera, Hypericum, mature Ivy ( a great looking shrub ),Boxwood, Yew...
You can underplot with Hellebore, Fern, Aspidistra, Heuchera...
Drainage and soil conditions are critical to many of these plants. Be
sure to examine your soil as well as your sun. Go by your local nursery
and look at plants in stock as well as to the library to look at
pictures. Look at what your neighbors are growing as well.

MAC wrote:

I'd like to plant some shrubs in the front yard close to the house, but
that side faces north and the plants would be in sun only a month or two
during the summer. There's moss growing there now, so I'm not sure
exactly what kind of plant, if any, would survive in that location. Has
anyone had experience with something like this?

Thanks,

MAC

Pat Brothers
The Powell House
Wake Forest
and the Perennials Lady at Atlantic Ave. Orchid and Garden Center

Old 01-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Penny Morgan

Here's a list of plants or shrubs that are recommended by a local tree
nursery for deep shade in this area. Do a search on google and you should
be able to find more info and pictures to see if you like them.

Aucuba japonica
Danae racemosa
Fatshedera x lizei
Fatsia japonica
Hedera helix
Leucothoe axilaris
Mahonia bealei
Nandina domestica
Pieris japonica
Rhododendron or Azalea

There are several different varieties of these plants, so make sure to ask
about all of them and their differences in size, color, etc. You should
also ask how much maintenance or inquire about any pests, disease
resistance, etc. before buying the plants. Most people want low maintenance
and disease resistance. Hope this helps.

Penny

Old 01-05-2003, 05:44 PM
mgeost

You've received some excellent suggestions. If I may, I'd add hosta
and philodendron to the list.

There are many excellent, hardy, large-leafed varieties of hosta some
of which are available at the Raleigh Farmer's Market. The internet
is also a good source of plants. You're making an investment of time
but in 3-5 years, you should have an impressive display. Some of the
smaller varieties might do well in the front of the border and the
color choices of all sizes seem to increase every year.

If you have even a reasonble space to shelter potted philodendron
during the short time it's too cold here, I would offer they are worth
considering. They seem to do well under the protection and winter
warmth of pine trees.

Someone mentioned acuba as an option. An excellent choice as plants
are easily started from cuttings - just prop the stems in water in a
sunny window and soon you'll have your own plants acuba garden!

Cheers and good luck!

Old 01-05-2003, 05:44 PM
MAC

Thanks to all who replied. I'm in the process of researching your
suggestions, and will be out planting some of them come spring. I'm
still a little worried about the two summer months the area will be in
sun, but many of the plants you suggested are flexible that way, so
I'll try to stick to those.

Best,

MAC

- Take out Chinese to reply -

Old 01-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Kermit

Here is a great list of shrubs that grow in shade:

http://www.pasquesi.com/html/sec02/content01_h_d.htm

I really like the chockeberry I put in... pretty leaves!

I bought some Carolina Cherry Laurel and a fragrant Mock-orange and they
seem to be growing quickly in the shade. I tried several japonica
varieties in the shade and they have only grown a tiny bit in two years.

I have found that a lot of plants just don't like the moist ground in the
shade. Heavenly bambo grows just about anywhere and there are several
varieties of willow shrubs that are hard to kill. I have several 'flaming
willow' shrubs in a muddy spot and they love it.

"MAC" wrote in message
I'd like to plant some shrubs in the front yard close to the house,
but that side faces north and the plants would be in sun only a month
or two during the summer. There's moss growing there now, so I'm not
sure exactly what kind of plant, if any, would survive in that
location. Has anyone had experience with something like this?

Thanks,

MAC
--
Take out Chinese to reply.

Problem Spot with sun and shade Sonia Van Tassel Gardening 6 08-04-2007 04:34 PM
Sun without Sun. Erik Orchids 8 03-02-2006 09:51 PM
Source for shade canopies and shade cloth [email protected] North Carolina 0 06-05-2005 09:08 PM
Marathon II and Scott's Sun and Shade seed [email protected] Gardening 0 15-07-2003 12:02 AM
Shade shade shade stephane Boutin United Kingdom 6 18-05-2003 06:32 AM