Old 01-05-2003, 05:45 PM
Penny Morgan

Default How to remove rust from garden tools?

My parents were antique dealers and when we bought old copper kettles full
of rust and tarnish, we would use a bowl filled with distilled white vinegar
and table salt (it was probably 1/2 cup of salt- seemed like a lot). We
used a fine piece of steel wool and rubbed the kettles with this mixture.
It ate right through and out came a glowing copper kettle. You could give
it a shot and see if it works.

I also remember kids in our neighborhood showing off by pouring Coca Cola on
rusty hubs from car tires and watching it eat away at it. If all else
fails, try that remedy. Imagine what Coke must do to your stomach lining.
Ouch.

Good luck.

Penny
"Elizabeth" wrote in message
news
Hi,

Does anyone know how to remove a coating of rust from garden tools? I
don't
think they are totally ruined and would like to clean them, if possible.

BTW, there sure is a lot of spam on this newsgroup now. Wish there was

some
way to remove/prevent it.

Thanks,
Elizabeth