Old 01-05-2003, 05:46 PM
C G

Default lilacs & flowering bushy things

Arwen Long wrote:

Do lilacs grow well down here or does the heat make them unhappy during
the summer? What other similarly sized flowering things (or non-flowering,
for variety) grow well?
tx
Arwen

They do not grow well. There are some at the NC State Arboretum which
seem to do well, but most do not. Crepe myrtles grow well and look
pretty, but they do not have the same fragrance. I'll give you the same
advice as I've given several others, go to the library or book store and
get a copy of the book "Landscape Plants of the Southeast" by Gordon
Halfacre. It will give you lots of choices.

Chuck