Old 01-05-2003, 05:46 PM
Anne Lurie

Default seeking hackberry (sugarberry), red osier dogwood

Jane, if this is Red Osier Dogwood is the same thing that I think I had
growing wild in Vermont, I suggest that you give serious thought to planting
it!

Here's the Colorado State website,
http://www.colostate.edu/depts/CSFS/month.html, where it's mentioned "for
streamside riparian plantings."

This really, really looks like the stuff that I spent a lot of time digging
out from under my deck -- in Northern Vermont! (It was a second floor
deck, so the area got some sun, but it was hard to get the area cleared out
because of the tenacious "red dogwood" -- and this stuff survived -30
degree winters & no watering.)

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

"Jane Peppler" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm not having any luck finding either of these plants - celtis
occidentalis aka hackberry or sugarberry, or red osier dogwood. Does
anybody know a source of either? Or does anybody have any seedlings or
suckers which I could come pry out of the ground?

Thanks,
Jane Peppler